ALA Department of Texas Scholarship
Scholarship Sponsored by American Legion Auxiliary
The American Legion Auxiliary, Department of Texas offers a scholarship award to a resident of Texas, child or grandchild of a Veteran who served in the Armed Forces during eligibility dates for membership in the American Legion.
1. Candidates for this award shall be a resident of Texas and a child, grandchild, or great-grandchild of a veteran who served in the Armed Forces during eligibility dates for membership in the American Legion.
- April 6, 1917 through November 11, 1918 (WWI)
- Any time after December 12, 1941 - All Wars/Conflicts
2. Selection of recipients shall be based upon goal, character, citizenship, need, objective, and war service of father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, great-grandfather, or great-grandmother.
3. Scholarships are not limited to persons in their senior year of high school. Anyone meeting eligibility requirements may apply.
4. Participation in the scholarship program shall be voluntary in all Units.
5. Applications must be secured from the Auxiliary Unit in the community in which the applicant resides.
6. Judging, at all levels, shall be on the following basis:
- Character/Leadership 25%
- Initiative/Goals 25%
- Financial Need 25%
- Scholarship 25%
1. Completed application form. (Please double check requirements.)
2. A letter from the applicant, stating qualifications and intentions.
3. Three (3) letters of recommendation.
- From the principal or Counselor of the school from which he or she is a graduate, or from the advisor or instructor of the current college or university.
- From a representative citizen, certifying to the applicant’s character, Americanism and scholarship.
- From your choice.
4. A CERTIFIED COPY of applicant’s high school grades for the last two (2) years of work or college transcript.
5. Recommendation of the local American Legion Auxiliary President or Education Chairman.
6. Resume to include statements of financial support from all their sources not listed on the application, extracurricular activities and honors and awards received.
7. The completed application packet must be received by the Unit Chairman no later than March 31, 2023.
8. The Unit’s winning application must be received by the Department Education Chairman no later than April 15, 2023, for review and judging.Go to Scholarship Application