Josie Washington Memorial Scholarship
Scholarship Sponsored by Zeta Phi Beta Sorority
The Josie Washington Memorial Scholarship is in memory of a very devoted member of Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Kappa Zeta Chapter. Josie Washington was an educator in the Dallas public schools, who taught much of her career at Lincoln High School. During her life she belonged to many organizations and volunteered her services wherever needed. Upon her death, Josie Washington left an endowment to her sorority. The Kappa Zeta chapter elected to set up a scholarship fund to honor her memory and generosity to our chapter.
The scholarship is to be awarded to high school seniors who are considered “Unsung Heroes”: students who have overcome usual circumstances, performed humanitarian services or heroic deeds in the community, school or through their public or religious affiliations.
The winner will be selected on the documentation and recommendations submitted and interview. The winner will be honored in Spring 2023.
- Must be a high school senior and Dallas-Fort Worth County resident.
- Must plan to pursue post high school studies (2 or 4 year college or accredited Technical/trade School).
- Fill out the application form.
- Scan the following documents:
- Digital photo (headshot) in JPEG or PNG format
- Official high school transcript with rank and unweighted GPA (4.0 scale)
- Two letters of recommendation: (1) from your school counselor or teacher and (2) from an employer, auxiliary/advisory/club sponsor (not a part of your high school). Recommendations should be addressed to the Scholarship Committee of Kappa Zeta with a signature and contact information.
- Write in 500 words or less who is your hero and why, and how their actions have changed your life.
- Documentation of volunteer hours, awards, etc. with dates of activities and total hours calculated
- Attach and send documents to Scholarship Committee:
- Gmail Account Holder: Please create a folder with your supporting documentation. Be sure to update the share settings on your folder to include that "anyone with the link" may view. Your folder should be titled: “Josie Washington Memorial Scholarship_[First and Last Name].” Send the folder link to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 31, 2023. The subject of your email should be “Josie Washington Memorial Scholarship_[First and Last Name]."
- Non- Gmail Account Holder: Email your PDF file which includes your transcript, letters of recommendation, community service hours, and statement. Your digital photo will need to be attached separately as a JPEG or PNG. Send all documents to email@example.com by 11:59 PM on Friday, March 31, 2023. The subject of your email should be "Josie Washington Memorial Scholarship_[First and Last Name].”